The drug war against growers, sellers and of users of Marijuana is a war against society itself.
Marijuana is a plant. It has been smoked inhaled and ingested by human beings for thousands of years. It is safe, has many medical benefits and it makes you feel good.
Here are the top ten reasons to end the Prohibition on Pot.
1. THE INSANE COST: Over a trillion dollars has been spent on the drug war in the last 40 years. Most of that has been spent on stopping the growers, sellers and buyers of Marijuana.
2. THE GROWTH OF POLICE STATE: The drug war empowers police to violate the privacy of any person on the planet. It has fueled the militarization of the police from the DEA down to the local police SWAT team.
3. REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH: Not only has a Trillion dollars been stolen from tax payers to fuel the Drug Warriors directly, police departments across the country split over 1.6 billion in seized property related to drug crimes each year. This is a massive redistribution of wealth from society to the state.
4. ALLEVIATION OF NEEDLESS SUFFERING: Tens of thousands of sick people already have gained enormous benefit from smoking pot and millions more would benefit if it were legal. Marijuana is a proven anti-nausea and anti-vomiting treatment which has been shown effective in thousands of cancer and AIDS patients across the country. The idea that Marijuana is a medicine is nothing new, over a hundred papers were written about thebenefits of Marijuana between 1840 and 1900 enumerating the many maladies the miracle medicine relieved.The active ingredients in Marijuana relieves pain and does so without the liver destroying side effects and addictive properties of percocet, vicodin or Oxycontin. Marijuana also lessens the symptoms of everything from migraines to menstrual cramps. It could also be a very effective reliever of the symptoms of the FLU virus as well. Marijuana reduces the effects of auto-immune disorders such as Chron’s Disease and Psoriasis. And it is one of the most effective treatments for Glaucoma.
5. LOWER HEALTH CARE COSTS: Not only is Marijuana effective against a whole host of diseases, it is also very cheap to grow and harvest. If it weren’t for the Prohibition induced premium on Pot, it is estimated that each “dose” would cost less than two dollars. Instead of paying the drug companies for their side-effect inducing factory made medicine you could grow your own at home. It would also eliminate millions of trips to the doctor and emergency room because people could treat themselves for many ailments.
6. LOWER PRISON POPULATION: Over 20,000,000 individuals were incarcerated due to Marijuana busts in the last 40 years. That is a boom for the private prison industry but a disaster for taxpayers and the people who were busted. Think about the lawyer and court costs of those 20,000,000 people who were incarcerated. This financial burden along with lost time on a job means many families of the incarcerated suffer horrbile finacial burdens. This leads to more and more dependence on the state and taxpayers ultimatley pick up the tab. While in prison many non-violent drug offenders are put in with hardened criminals and when released begin a life of real crime, against property and persons. Having the largest prison population on the planet makes us less safe and all of us less prosperous.
7. LESS VIOLENCE IN SOCIETY: If politicians really want to save lives they should be falling all over each other to legalize pot. A government study done on soldiers in the 1930′s showed definitively that smoking Marijuana decreases violent tendencies in men. The recommendation then was to allow individuals in the United States to legally purchase pot.Of course the opposite happened and in the 1930′s Marijuana Prohibition started in earnest and the destructive War on Drugs began. The Drug War fuels the violence between Cops and dealers and between the dealers themselves in this country and around the world. If pot were legal than maybe the 40,000 individuals who have been killed in the Cartel Wars along the US/Mexican border might still be alive today. Prohibition leads to violence. Smoking Pot doesn’t.
8. IT’S THE SAFEST INTOXICANT ON PLANET EARTH: Marijuana is exponentially safer than Tobacco and Alcohol. These two over the counter legal substances have led to the deaths of over 440,000 Americans just in the last year. Do you know how many cases of emphysema or other lung related deaths have been caused by Marijuana? The answer is ZERO. Do you know how many people had overdosed on Marijuana in the last 5000 years? The answer is zero. It is medically impossible to OD on the stuff. (I am not for banning either alcohol or tobacco.)
9. MARIJUANA STRENGTHENS SOCIETY: Marijuana is a herb that encourages socialization. Humans are social animals. We all need to have regular positive contact with other human beings. In this ever isolated society, Marijuana brings people together in a positive way.
10. MARIJUANA HELPS WITH CREATIVITY: Marijuana has been shown to help thousands of people to increase their creative output. The typical image of a person who uses pot is the “Stoner” and that image is mostly incorrect. Sure there are those who smoke pot because they just enjoy it and want to relax and there is nothing wrong with that. But there are a lot of people out there who smoke pot not because they want to do less in life, but because they want to do more. For me the perfect example is Joe Rogan. He is a stand up comedian, UFC commentator, black belt in Brazilian jujitsu, host of one of the most successful podcasts on the planet and creator of his own clothing line. This guy is a doer and he smokes a lot of pot.
And the Main Reason to Legalize Pot is because…
YOU OWN YOUR BODY: You have the God-given right to stick whatever you want down your pie-hole. Marijuana makes you feel better, whether it’s because you had a rough day at work or because you have cancer. There are no reasons why adult individuals in the “So Called Land of the Free” shouldn’t be able to go down to the liquor store and choose between a twelve pack of budlight or an ounce of bud.
Freedom is not divisible. If you believe in limited government, lower taxes, and more individual freedom than you must support the legalization of Marijuana.
Advocate of Liberty and Less Pain and More Pleasure.
(Full disclosure: I don’t smoke the stuff but I think everyone should have the right to if they choose)